Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Introduction


So who are we? My name is Betsey and I have been married to my wonderful husband Mark since July 2005. We met through a friend and things really got going after hanging out at a Stryper reunion concert together. We are both huge Stryper fans so it was just meant to be for us to be together.


We have 1 son named Matthew who was born on June 24, 2007. Can't believe he will be 3 in June. Where did the time go? Matthew is a very handsome boy and his mommy and daddy love him very much. Matthew is speech delayed. He has about 30-40 words and his first words didn't really come until after age 2. He has been in ECI since his 1st birthday and is receiving speech therapy. He is doing much better than when we started. There were some concerns about autism because he did have a lot of "red flags" like no pointing, no babbling, limited waving/clapping, etc.... The "red flags" have gone away, but we are still dealing with the speech delay. ECI ends at age 3 so he will transfer to the school district and will likely attend PPCD (preschool program for children with disabilities). The school will evaluate him and recommend what they think is best. He currently attends a wonderful preschool program 2 days a week and I enrolled him for 3 days a week in the Fall. I would like to contine with that preschool and use the school district as a supplement. I do believe that he is more than just a "late talker", and I think he will need all the help he can get to get his language skills to age level. It's hard to know what the future holds, but we will be there for him every step of the way. He has been evaluated by a developmental pediatrician and will see her again in June.


I have been an RN since 1998 and love it. I currently work 2 days a week in the NICU. I love working in the NICU, and I feel so blessed to be able to work part time so I can be home most of the week with Matthew. It brings a nice balance. The days that I do work are a nice break. Mothers of young kids know what I mean.


Matthew LOVES fire hydrants so the reason for the pic with Matthew and a fire hydrant.


P.S. Matthew had his 1st dentist appt. today and it went well. All they did was look in his mouth. His teeth look good! Next time they want to do a teeth cleaning. Good luck with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment