Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Update!

Where do I start? I haven't wrote an update in months. Let's start with the kids.>/p>

Matthew is doing well. His application did get accepted through Scottish Rite for the Dyslexia/learning disability evaluation. They have an excellent program there so I am excited that he was accepted. Hoping to have the appointment soon so we can have the results before he starts 1st grade in August. School is going pretty well for him. He is struggling with some of the academics so he does have some "red flags" for a learning disability. Hoping to have some answers soon so we can find out how he learns best.

Luke is good. Just celebrated his 3rd birthday. Had a great time! Working on potty training and so far that isn't going too bad. His talking has really taken off lately. He is really at a cute age. He is funny and sweet!

Joshy is doing great. He is 18 months now. Can't believe it. He is full of energy and has about 2 words or so. He is lots of fun and he loves his big brothers. We did have a little scare with him recently. He choked on a pistachio. I know! I know! He shouldn't have had a pistachio yet. It was under Dad's watch :) Anyway, he seemed to be okay, but a few days later it was apparent that he wasn't okay. Off to the pedi for an x-ray and the radiologist said it was "concerning" so off to Cook's we went. They were expecting us in the ER. He ended up needing a rigid bronchoscopy under general anesthesia with a pediatric surgeon. It had broken up in 3 pieces and it was lodged down in his lung. He had to stay overnight for oxygen, steroids, and breathing treatments. He almost had to go to the PICU overnight. So glad we avoided that. He was able to go to a regular room and we were able to go home the next day. We did see a few familiar faces while we were there so that was nice. His nurse in the OR used to work with us over at MCA in the NICU. Cook's was great. Nice hospital! We were definitely in good hands! NO MORE pistachios or any kind of nuts.

So here is an update on work. I have been back at MCA since November and it was nice to be back "home" and in my "comfort zone." Having said that, I still feel like I am not supposed to be there anymore. I'm just not feeling it anymore. I love everyone I work with, but I still have a longing to be somewhere else. I have prayed and thought long and hard over these last few months trying to figure out where I need to be. I strongly considered Cook's again, but I just can't deal with the floating policy. We have 2 nurses from Cook's working with us at MCA and they said sometimes they had to float twice in a week. Ummm, no, that isn't going to work for me. Major deal breaker. I have been feeling led back to Dallas Children's. 2 nurses from MCA have recently left to go work over there and they are happy. I did enjoy my short time over there. Everyone was nice and the babies were complex and interesting. The unit is still expanding and doing very well. I decided to e-mail the manager. I figured what do I have to lose. Anyway, she said she would LOVE to have me back. How cool is that? She has been very nice and understanding. I also found out that the NICU is now a "closed unit" which means you never float anywhere. Unheard of for a Children's hospital. I'm quite happy about that. The plan is too start at the end of May. I am excited and this time its for real. The timing is just better this time. I feel confident that things will work out this time. They better work out because there will be no going back to MCA this time. Also the PT insurance benefits through Children's are way better then MCA and we really need that right now. That is another story in itself. I will spare you the details. I haven't told anyone at MCA yet and I don't plan to let anyone know until late April. Wish me luck :)

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment